Successful Online Sessions
We have been very successful in converting our in-person sessions to online person-to-person sessions. They have been more convenient for parents – saving gas and time! But there are a few things that we need our students and parents to do in order to make their Orton Gillingham reading sessions really effective.
First, please review the technology requirements for a Zoom session.
The student will need:
- A strong and fast internet connection.
- A computer that is new enough to support programs such as Zoom.
- A laptop or desktop computer with a camera. (iPads, Kindles, etc. do not work well.)
- A set of noise-canceling headphones with a microphone.
- A dedicated, quiet spot for the reading sessions – it should have a table or desk, and a real chair.
- Paper and a dark-color pen.
- All OG materials nearby, at the ready.
- A parent nearby, in case of tech needs (for younger students)
Some things are a real hazard to the success of a session:
- Eating and drinking during a session.
- Background noise such as talking, doing dishes, loud pets/siblings in the area.
- Trying to do the session from bed or on the couch, floor, etc.
- Having a television on in the area.
- Resistance to attending the session.