We’re the best at what we do.
- Owner and Founder Karen Sonday and the Reading Specialists on our team are among the most highly-trained and experienced Orton Gillingham practitioners in the country.
- All of our Reading Specialists have been trained in Orton Gillingham by Karen Sonday, Fellow of Orton Gillingham Academy, or through an IMSLEC accredited program, or both!
- We follow the International Dyslexia Association’s Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading.
- As practitioners, we’re constantly honing our skills and improving our techniques. Ongoing professional development is mandatory for our Reading Specialists.
- As people, we are truly invested in the success of each individual student – child or adult. We are passionate about what we do!
We're a Team
- One of the most consequential things about having OGRS in your corner is that we are a team!
- We share students, ideas, strategies, best practices, and insights. Involving more than one staff member with each student allows us to bring multiple perspectives and ranges of experience to each one. Each Reading Specialist meets regularly with their Team Lead and/or with Karen Sonday about your student.
- The team gets to the bottom of a student’s challenges using the most up-to-date information and techniques. As a parent, your student benefits from the teaching experience of the entire team!
We’re advocates for Structured Literacy.
- Learning to read is a complex neurological process, and Structured Literacy (Orton Gillingham) instruction uses explicit, evidence-based methods that are appropriate for all students, but essential for students with learning differences, especially those with dyslexia.
- We believe that the whole language/balanced literacy approach currently in use in most schools today is not effective for a large percentage of students, with or without learning challenges.